Skateboarding becomes increasingly popular today. It is a board with a length of about 28 – 33 inches. It has small wheels in diameter. Also, you can use the board as a personal vehicle. The first question from beginner is, how long does it take to get good at skateboarding? And why you need to practice right now. Just after reading our article!
Skateboard perfectly develops a sense of balance, speed of reactions. Board is an ideal exercise machine for the muscles of the back, legs, and abdomen. Undoubtedly, a skateboard helps to keep fit and burn calories better than the gym. Half an hour of driving is excellent training. But not everyone can master skate quickly.
Several Basic Secrets
- Learn to observe. It all starts with this. You should go to the skatepark There you will see the special equipment for skateboarding. You should just watch it for the first time.
- If falling and injuries did not discourage the desire, then continue the training. You need to stand on the board with both feet and try to balance. Move your legs in places. Put one foot forward, the other – back, and vice versa.
- Did it work? Perfectly! Let’s move on. Identify the pushing leg. You can find out this on the stairs. Notice from which foot you step on the stairs.
- The last task was probably the easiest for you. Now it’s time to go outside and find out how to use a skateboard. There are unique criteria. Choose a flat road without descents and ascents. This basic rule is necessary so that the first trip went as smoothly as possible, without people and cars. This way, you can avoid obstacles and potential injuries.
- Now the most exciting moment begins. So, place the leading foot on the surface of the skateboard (in the front wheels). Push off with the other foot. As soon as you go, you need to put the push leg on the board and enjoy the flight. But don’t forget how to gain balance.
- If you learn to stop correctly, or instead do it without fear, the skate will become one of your best friends. Therefore, an easy way to stop is to brake on the ground. Remove the pushing leg from the skateboard and try to stop.
- When you feel more confident, you can look for places with small descents, hills, and racing. But you should always have moderation and common sense.
- By the way, if learning is for young children, then parents can install a game about skateboarding on a PC, tablet, or smartphone. In this way, the child will quickly learn all the tricks. Computer or console cames help to gain experience from world pro-riders.
Try to follow these useful tips for beginners. It helps you master the technique and avoid injuries.
Modern manufacturers offer various skateboarding models of several configurations. Accordingly, skateboards are for different purposes. When choosing the board, you need to pay attention not so much to its price as to quality. Indeed, the safety of a person standing on a skateboard directly depends on this measure. Low-grade parts will quickly fail. A product from dubious manufacturers may soon break down and become unusable.
Do you want to master the speed descent on a longboard? Or do you want to do unthinkable tricks on a curved model? It does not matter. Your first skateboard for beginners should be as simple as possible.
3 Golden Rules
- First, a beginner, who hasn’t yet felt the device and has not chosen the style, must prefer a ready-made model of the average price.
- Second, you shouldn’t rent a skateboard. It is better to study on one skate.
- Third, you can start training on a model of medium length. The skate should be with a rigid suspension and a small bend or without it.
Before you learn how to skateboard, you need to know its elements. A standard skate consists of several details:
- Decks – It’s the board itself. Classic models are made of five-layer wood. More advanced models can be made of impact-resistant plastic. For example, the famous penny board;
- Suspensions – The wheels are connected with the deck through a suspension;
- Wheels – They can be in different hardness. Soft wheels have a good clutch with asphalt. This provides safety when performing tricks such as Ollie and driving on rough roads. And rigid wheels allow developing high speed. They are irreplaceable when driving for a while. Therefore, beginners should choose wheels of average rigidity.
Features (Scale of 1-10*)
*The ratings shown in the table are based on our own experience in skateboarding.
Safety and Only Safety
If you want to know how to learn skateboarding fast, you should pay attention to protective equipment. Properly chosen shoes and clothes are a component of success. Skateboarding shoes should give protection and support to the skateboarder. Specialized models of specifically designed sneakers perfectly cope with this task.
No one is safe from falling. You will fall at the beginning, and quite often at first. That is why you should buy a full set of protective equipment in advance: knee pads, elbow pads, and a helmet. Wrist protection will also not be redundant. After all, falling from a skateboard can damage joints. And do not think that all this will make you senseless in the eyes of professionals. Everyone once started skateboarding learning. You don’t want to break an arm or a leg or get a concussion, do you?
The helmet for skating on board should have a smooth surface. The sturdy strap on the chin is also very important. The skater shouldn’t be ashamed to go outside in full uniform. Even experienced skaters wear protection when mastering or performing complicated tricks.
When you learn to skate well, you will not need protection all the time. Although even if you become a pro skater, you can injure yourself. Since skateboarding is a very traumatic sport, a beginner cannot do without protection. Helmet, along with knee pads and elbow pads, is a mandatory item of equipment.
First Skateboard Tricks to Learn: The Art of Perfection
Tricks are a big deal. Don’t think that you will master them in a few weeks. Sometimes it takes months or even years.
- Ollie is a simple jump in which a skateboard comes off the ground.
- Nollie – the same jump, but you do it from the main rack and by clicking forward.
- Flip – it’s like Ollie, but more complicated. The board should rotate during the jump.
- Grab is a trick in which a skateboarder grabs the board with his hands.
- Grind – sliding on the suspension.
- Slide – sliding on the board.
- Manual – balancing on one of the wheel axles of a skate.
5 Useful Tips for Beginners
- Meet more experienced skateboarders, follow their recommendations.
- Warm-up before skateboarding to avoid injuries.
- Take your time. Begin to learn tricks only when you begin to feel the board and control the body.
- Learn video tutorials to understand your mistakes and the essence of movements.
- You will surely understand how to ride a skateboard and learn if you want.
Of course, it is not possible to give a direct answer to how long do you need to train to become a good (average) skater. This sport can be different. It may not necessarily be extreme with dangerous tricks. Learning time depends on desires and goals. If you plan to just drive at speed, then two weeks will be enough for you. If your goal is to learn a few tricks, then you should spend 1-2 months.
Is it hard to ride a skateboard? – No. Anyone can learn to skateboard. Just choose your skate and follow a simple training system. Skateboarding becomes a special pastime for many people. No wonder this is not just a sport but a whole subculture.